Have you seen any email with something like this(image below)… at the bottom of that email.
If you have seen, you would have thought how did that person get that, its so cool.
It is a signature, which usually contains the person’s information…like name, contact details,etc.
As a professional lawyer, don’t you think that even YOU must start using it in your emails??
This blog will help you to learn how to create professional Gmail signatures.
So, what exactly is this “Gmail Signature” – A gmail signature is text, like your contact information or a favorite quote, that’s automatically added at the end of your Gmail messages.
Considering the previous image, which I showed it to you above:-
The signature contains his ‘Name’.
Answers… “Who he is? by profession”
Also has his Email address, Mobile number, his company’s name…Website and his address.
And at the end, social media follow icons which are linked to his social media profiles.
This whole thing is a gmail signature, which will be automatically added to the end of your emails, whenever you send an email to anyone.
Why must you use this?
There are few important reasons because of which you must use this feature –
1) It makes you look professional
2) You know how important marketing is for lawyers. It helps you to Market yourself. So, one can know who you are and easily contact you ..!!
3) It is free & easy to use. You just have to design it once & and later it will be automatically added to your future Emails.
How can you make such Signatures in your Gmail??
It’s pretty simple. You can follow the steps given below.
- Open Gmail, and log in with your Gmail account.
- In the top right hand corner, you will see a Gear icon…click that. Then select -> Settings.
- Now, go to the “Signature” section. By default it will be selected as ‘No Signature’…so first you have to select the button which is below that.
Then, add your text in the text box which will be just beside it.
For example – You can write something like your name – “Adv. D. B. Joshi”. You can change the Font here.
You can change the font size.
Make it bold, italics, underline.
You can even change the color. Background color as well as the text color.
Other basic things include adding bullet points, changing the alignment,etc.
The main thing is that, you can also add Images & web-links.
So, you can select your picture and add it here. You can make the image small or big… however you want.
Don’t forget to add something like Thanks or Regards before your main signature, because this whole thing you are creating is going to be at the end of your every email.
Then below you image, add your Name, designation…profession.
Add your expertise….civil, criminal, Mergers & acquisitions, etc.
Add your contact details, like mobile no., address.
If you are a Law Firm, you can add your website & your firm’s logo here instead of the personal profile picture.
At the end…if you want, you can add your social media follow buttons… LinkedIn, Twitter, etc.
And remember you have to manually add the link, select the image and select the link button, now here you have to type the link…in this case your LinkedIn profile’s URL. And after all this is done, then click OK.
But here in this sample above, the information is written BESIDE the image. Which looks better…right?? But you can also make your signature look like that…so HOW to do it??
There are some email signature generators online. Some are free to use and some are paid services.
But, I will tell you a simple method. Go to Google docs. Here in the insert section -> select table.
Now here add your image in one cell & your information in the cell beside it.
So it came side by side.
But, this Black border of the table will not look good. So just select the table & on the right hand corner select border color to white. Then it will be gone…actually its still there…but you have changed the color to white, so we can’t see.
Now just copy the whole thing from Google Docs and paste it in the text box of the Signature section.
Looks cool isn’t it??
Now, whenever you send an email to anyone, it will carry this signature you made, at the bottom of the email.
- Wait wait wait…One very important thing, which most people forget to do. At the bottom of the page, click Save Changes. If this is not done…all your ‘mehanat’ is gone.
Some Tips for making a good email signature
- Limit your signature to three or four lines of text. Nobody is interested in reading much at the end.
You can put up to 10,000 characters in your signature.
Listing every possible phone number, email address, or social media network you belong to can become quite annoying.
So, ‘Less is Best’ – Keep your information short and crisp. One who reads it shall quickly know who you are, what’s your expertise, and how to contact you…that’s it.
- Don’t put your email address in your contact details. Because, YOU are sending an email…so the other person will obviously get your email id.
- Include an Image – People remember visuals better than text.
- Call-to-Action – If you have a product… like a Book written by you Or a blog post you had written which outlines your expertise – add its link there.
You can also use some online tools and some designing websites, with the help of which you can make your signature even more attractive.
In case you are a bit confused about the whole procedure of making Gmail Signatures, you can download my ‘pdf Guide’ here, which contains this whole procedure of creating a signature – step by step and also contains information of some designing tools.
So, if you want it then click on this link here & get it.